2012-03-05

Photo of the Week 2012-03-05

forest mist - forest light

I'm not sure how many times I have mentioned that if you are into photography, you should always be sure that you have a camera with you. Cell phone cameras may be very handy and there are some great images made with these and low end point and shoot cameras. I prefer to have a very capable P&S like my G12 of better yet a DSLR with me when I come across something worth photographing. The "better" the camera the more I am inclined to stop what I'm doing and take a few minutes to work with a scene to capture something special.

Stopping and taking the time to shoot ... that's the second thing you need to do if you are into photography. There are countless times in the past when I have said "look at that", I should stop and make a photograph. There are a very small number of images from those times in my library, because I seldom stopped, unless I was specifically out for photography.

This past Friday, I got a later start than I had intended and had skipped my morning walk, something I have recently started as part of a "get active" program, to make up for lost time. As I headed to my first stop of the day, I passed an urban forest park and was struck by the mist enveloping the bare hardwood trunks as they reached upward. I said to myself, "look at that", I've been waiting for just these conditions to make some images here ...

That was all I needed. I pulled into a parking area, grabbed the DSLR that I had stowed in the vehicle and headed out into the fog and forest clicking away as I paid no attention to established trails. I know this section of forest well enough so I just wandered from scene to scene, composing, capturing and clicking the shutter. Eventually I had worked through the hardwoods and found some fir trees with a beech still holding it's brown leaves. The beech was in a small clearing and I could see gentle shafts of sunlight beginning to break through overhead. If only the fog would linger a little longer and the sunlight would just ... CLICK !

Ahhh, that is why I need to stop when something catches my eye. That is why I need to be sure to keep a capable camera will me all the time. Now where the heck am I and how do I get back to the car ... ?

It all took 45 minutes. By the time I was back at the car the fog had lifted, it was still early and I had managed to get my morning walk in.

This one looks great printed. It's resting on my layout table just wating to be framed.

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Very nice indeed. I agree that having the equipment with you allows you the freedom to "get the shot", to the quality level that is satisfying. Having a cellphone or a low-end POS just means you get frustrated, a) with the resulting shot; b) with yourself for -not- bringing the good camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Ian.
      " frustrated ... with yourself for -not- bringing the good camera ..."

      Exactly !

      Delete