2012-03-19

Photo of the Week 2012-03-19

view from the orchard


Out for a little "rurex"
a couple of weekends ago, we found this abandoned house with barn and some out-buildings to explore and photograph. There was something about the house that struck me as I worked around the property trying to find a composition that would capture the feel of abandonment and neglect.

I headed out in the orchard to see if I could use the barren apple trees as a frame to surround the brick structure. Lighting was flat and uninteresting due to heavy coloud cover, so I've used some software to bring out the texture and colour in postprocessing.

It wasn't until I got home and showed my wife the finished image that I realized what it was about the scene. A number of years ago we purchased a limited edition print by an artist named Brent Townsend, called King's Farmhouse. Upon seeing this print for the first time, I immediately had a feeling like I had been there before. I met the artist at a gallery open house when we purchased the print and Brent was nice enough to sign and personalize the back for me. The similarities in the scenes are obvious ... no wonder "there was something about the house" I was trying to capture that day.

DJE

1 comment:

  1. Great pic Nuke. Isn`t that the house Norman Bates lived in? ... M Balata.

    ReplyDelete