2012-01-23

Photo of the Week 2012-01-23

reflective conversation


One of the members of my photo club suggested a mid morning outing in Downtown Guelph this past Saturday. Normally I head out early in the morning to take advantage of the wonderful light available before the sun is higher in the sky and blasting away on it's MAX setting. Oh there are times when the cloud cover is just right, diffusing the sunlight to soften shadows and tone things down a bit. Saturday was not one of those days. The sky was clear, blue and allowing the full strength of the sun to pass.

This was an outing to explore opportunities that would use or manage the harsh light. Shadows and textures are always more dramatic in full sunlight and care must be taken to make an image that works. Glare and reflection too can be difficult to manage, but ...
... sometimes it can be the reflection that makes, not breaks, the image.

As I walked up Douglas St. approaching the Red Brick Cafe near the end of our outing, I saw 2 people sitting inside having a conversation. The window was fogged on the inside and I moved to get a composition I liked but the reflection of the Gummer Bldg reconstruction across the street was quite distracting. I snapped the image anyway and once I saw the result on my monitor at home, I found it appealing.

others from the outing

Stairs to Knox


brick 'n blue


DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment