2011-05-23

Photo of the Week 2011-05-23

birches in IR

My new addiction is Infrared Photography, well technically near infrared, but let's not get too technical just yet.

I love the realistically surreal quality of B&W IR images. Having experimented a bit with IR filters on my DSLR's and being frustrated with the excessively long shutter speeds, I decided to try something else....

I sent a decent quality P&S 7mp digital camera, a Canon G6, to Digital Silver Imaging for their conversion service. They remove the low-pass infrared filter over the sensor and replace it with a high-pass filter. The high-pass filter blocks most of the visible light and allows the higher light frequencies approaching infrared through to the sensor. The resulting images can be quite stunning.

Depending on the transmission characteristics of the filter used, "false" colour images can be created, more frequently, images are converted to B&W. I am enjoying my sight through my new IR eyes ...

... stay tuned for more.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment