2011-05-15

Leamington & Point Pelee Scenes

Following are several images I want to share from my recent visit to Leamington and Point Pelee National Park. The weather was unsettled throughout the day and the sky had clouded over completely then broken up more than once. I had envisioned a sunset captured from the tip of Point Pelee but the weather needed to cooperate.

As I left Windsor heading for Leamington the sky had cleared (again) and thanks to the flat topography (boy is it flat in SW Ontario, I had forgotten just how flat) I could see isolated storm clouds all around moving through the area. When I arrived in Leamington and parked at the ferry dock, a light rain was being carried by gusty wind. As timing would have it, the rain increased just as I got out to get some camera gear out of the vehicle hatch and sent me back to inside until it let up. Fortunately it did not last long and I was able to get out and get a shot of this ...

Storm off Leamington


heading for the dock


Moving on, I arrived at the park gates under clearing skies and the appearance of the sun. My first stop was at the marsh boardwalk to check out the view from the tower. Thunderstorms moving off to the east provided a dramatic background with the sun on the still brown marsh grass.


marsh boardwalk


passing storm


I was eager to press on to get to "the Tip", that was the main objective for this outing and I wanted to be sure I had enough time for the the hike and to make some images. I found the tip without the characteristic curving sand spit reaching far out into the lake. The tip is always changing year after year, with the ebb and flow of the currents on Lake Erie. On this day the tip was a tapering point diving below waves that swallowed the land in their turbulence.

this land's end


the tip


solitude (last man standing)


... a return visit is a must.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment