2019-09-23

10 Years of Blog Posts ... Reflecting

Reflecting on a 10-Year Milestone ...

' a photographic journey ', this blog, has played no small role in my photographic life these past 10 years. Approaching this milestone post, reflecting on those years has opened up a flood of memories, thoughts and questions.

Memories of people, places, experiences and family have stirred. Alan, Grant, Andrew, Emma, Bruce and others. Some subjects, many friends for life. Rome, Florence ... ahhhh Florence, Ucluelet, Algonquin, Montreal, Albion Falls, Cathedral Grove, The Bruce. So many places. Out of my comfort zone at 'Help Portrait' - twice, a frigidly cold, dark, silent night on a back-road in Algonquin and that night sky, 'The Crack'. Dad ... and Mom. A wonderful flood of memories.

And some thoughts, of photographs yet to be made, a life without photography, life with photography, taking a hiatus, simply continuing, even calling it quits.

Then the questions ... ohhhh the questions. The silent kind that pop up while driving, having dinner, walking into the grocery store making you forget what you came for, lifting you up, bringing you down. As always, more questions than answers.

Have I made my "best" image? What if I have? Do I have better in me yet?

If I stop this blog how will it affect my photography? Will it continue? What would I do without photography?

Is the blog format even relevant for photography anymore? With the popularity of Facebook and Instagram attention spans have become minuscule. Who actually reads a blog these days? Does anyone read my blog?

Do I really have to come up with a photo and post every week? Oh shit ! I have to come up with something for this week ! 

Hold on ...

morning aspen



Why do I blog? My posts receive very few comments, over the years just a handful … so why even bother? Is anybody out there? Who is this for?

Weekly posts have motivated me to continue shooting regularly. The blog is sort of a journal for my photographic life ... slowly I realize, I do it for me !

Will I continue?

Photographing ... you bet !

The blog ... I think so.

See ya next week ... maybe.

DJE

10 comments:

  1. Doug this is how I start my week, every Monday for many years, it is something I look forward to. Thanks for doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. June Smith 23 September 2019 R 09:11
    I would really miss it Doug. As an Artist it is a reference for me. Hope you keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love our conversations Aunt June, all of them, but particularly those on art and the creative life.

      Delete
  3. I can't believe it's been 10 years!! I think I've seen every single one. And while I may not comment, I do look forward to my Monday morning shot! During our Lafarge days, it always reminded me that while I saw you at work, and you worked long, grueling hours (sometimes on the road)...that you balanced your life out with your love. It's inspiring and I'm glad you've continued it into retirement, because it continues to remind me to balance. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unknown ... hmmm. There are a couple of people that I think this could be from. Regardless, I'm glad that you are following along and remember our time at Lafarge. Working there was a very large part of my life ... photography provided a release, a distraction from the workload and stress. Cheers!

      Delete
  4. Doug,

    I look forward to seeing your posts. They would be missed a lot by me if you stopped.

    No, you haven't taken your "best" picture yet - they are all good, all "best" at the time, and your journey isn't complete yet. So, please keep taking your shots, please keep posting them.

    Whenever -I- see good shots, it inspires me to try different things, to try for my next "best" shot.

    photographybyipf on IG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ian ! You're still there. Thanks for following and for commenting my friend.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  5. Life is full of delightful treasures and I appreciate receiving your emails every Monday. Thank you Doug. 'Let The Beat Go On.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you enjoy the emails/posts Jim.
      Keep Well,

      Delete