2010-08-29

Photo of the Week 2010-08-30

... presenting "The Horizontal Element"

Constructive Morning



The Horizontal Element:

Some scenes just call out with their strong horizontal elements, so much so that it’s all about whatever runs across the scene and commands attention. Quite different from a panoramic image that captures the expanse of the scene before the photographer, these are all about a dominant horizontal element.

The standard aspect ratios of film and digital photography formats don’t work for me in these cases. You will find proponents of the different aspect ratios available, those who advocate “no cropping” and some who crop to suit each image. Each of the formats and approaches has merit. I may or may not choose to follow any of them on the photographic journey but, in the case of “The Horizontal Element”, I have chosen to present my images in a manner that shows that slice of the scene that called out to me.

Prints in “The Horizontal Element” series are 5.5” x 21” and several can be found on the walls at Gallery DJ (my home). I hope you enjoy.


DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment