2010-08-11

Photo of the Week 2010-08-16

I am no "history buff" but my interest in Gettysburg was stirred several years ago during a visit with friends who had moved to Charlottesville VA. While reading a local newspaper I came across a story on an author by the name of Michael Shaara and his Pulitzer Prize winning novel The Killer Angels. I was intrigued by the unique story of how father and son had written a trilogy telling the story of the Civil War. I returned home, found the novels, enjoyed reading the set and an interest in Civil War history and in particular Gettysburg was whetted.

A return visit to Charlottesville recently included a stop at Gettysburg and some photography at the battlefield ...

Sunset at Gettysburg


While I try to learn at least a bit about the locations that I visit for photography, there is so much available about the battle at Gettysburg and the Civil War I could be a while ...

This image is taken from Union artillery positions on Cemetery Ridge at "The Angle", looking west to Confederate lines. The spot is often referred to as the "High Water Mark of the Confederacy"

As I stood looking out over one of history's bloodiest battlefields the setting sun broke from behind some cloud and spread it's magnificent light on the scene.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment