2016-08-08

Photo of the Week 2016-08-08

I've made better images of the night sky, but I hope the experience connected to this one will linger in memory for a time.


which one ?
The perseids meteor shower is nearing it's peak for 2016 and with a clear sky Saturday night, and some urging from Lynn, we headed outside around 10:00 to see what we could see. The sky was unbelievably clear and there seemed to be more stars than ever as we stood at the shore craning our necks to take it all in.

I had checked several online references to assist in locating perseids and after some time, found it rising in the N-NE sky just above the tree line. I went back to the cottage for a camera and tripod to see if I could capture any of the meteors. Coming back out, we looked up and realized that there was a better view from the deck so I set up there. Each grabbing a chair, we took in over an hour of quietly sitting under the Milky Way in the warm summer night air (free of bugs thanks to the breeze off the lake) before we called it a night.

As luck would have it, I was not able to capture a meteor in any of the images I made, but we think we saw one or two while I was getting set up.

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Time lapse of how many seconds? Great shot of the Milky way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just a straight 20 second exposure @f/4 Ian and some post processing wizardry to bring out the detail.

      Delete