2014-08-25

Photo of the Week 2014-08-25

A little bit of photography, some sketching, much relaxin' and a lot of family time ...

...  just back from a week on "the Bruce".

It was a great week and both Jordan and Matthew were able to join Lynn and I for at least a couple of "whole family" days at the cottage. Schedules being what they are, it can be difficult to coordinate.

The week was also special because Friday, August 22 was the first anniversary of our plunge into cottage ownership. We've managed to get a lot of use out of it these past 12 months. The week was the third vacation week Lynn and I have spent there and we manage to get there about every other weekend on average, a bit less in winter but still a weekend or two a month. 

Last week's blog post showcased some dramatic night sky images from our shoreline on the Sunday night. Today I present a simple, minimalistic, yet (to me) deeply meaningful image. 

Without going into the details, the boys had been disappointed by initial, highly anticipated  plans for the day getting scuttled. So they set out "to make the best" of things and took the canoe for a paddle to explore the shoreline out around the point at Bonnet Island and into China Cove on a very still, foggy day. They had been gone quite a while when I grabbed a camera and a book and headed down to a chair at the shore. I wanted to get an image of them as they paddled back.

The fog had been rolling in and out all day, never really clearing and sometimes obscuring nearly everything. Half an hour passed when I started to hear voices off in the distance and they slowly came into view around the point. I listened without being able to make out the words, knowing they were enjoying the time together. I picked up the camera and began to make some images of them off in the distance, crossing the mouth of the bay, just open foggy Lake Huron waters in the background.

Something in me stirs when I watch my sons enjoying time together.

together
 DJE

2 comments: