2014-08-04

Photo of the Week 2014-08-04

Sunset, Moonrise, One Milky Way, Three Meteors and a Bazillion Stars !

There are techniques that can be used to make the Milky Way more prominent in night sky photographs but for my first attempt I chose an approach that would convey a more realistic presentation of what my eyes saw on a clear night, from the shore at our cottage on Hay Bay.

The Bruce Peninsula is a Dark Sky Preserve and I've been meaning to take advantage of my time there to make night sky images. The challenge is that I like morning light, I mean really early morning light, and in order to photograph then it requires that I'm out f bed and heading to a location before or close to sunrise ... 6:00am and earlier these days. With my body's alarm clock set for early rise it's difficult to get past 10:00 pm and I'd definitely need to do that if I was going to capture the Milky Way in the night sky. This required a mid day nap, and what better to do on the August long weekend at the cottage than grab an hour or so in the afternoon for just that.

So in the evening, well rested, armed with a shore-side fire and coffee complete with hooch, I waited until the sun went down ...













  
                                                                                                          and the moon went up ...









 



 ... then the stars came out !

Milky Way 2014-08-01

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment