2013-03-18

Photo of the Week 2013-03-18


Decisions, decisions ...

... where to go for the weekend photography outing? One of the "regulars" was down with an illness and ideas for places to go were down to a couple of possibilities, one which I had been to but Patrick had not, the other Patrick had been to but I had not. We both were interested in exploring a new location so ...

I left it for him to decide and I was introduced to Section 3 of the Guelph Radial Trail, the portion between 1st and 2nd line, south of Eden Mills, ON. The area of this trail down and around Blue Springs Creek was magical. We didn't cover much distance in the 3 hours we were out shooting, but we covered a lot of ground, not all of it solid.

on thin ice
As the title of this image might suggest, my footing was less than confidence inspiring as I inched out onto the ice along the edge of Blue Springs Creek to get a composition showing the open water in the middle. Recent warmer temperatures had brought some rain in addition to spring thaw. The resulting runoff had flooded the little creek and it had spilled over it's banks into the surrounding forest. As temperatures dropped, a thin layer of ice formed on the surface of the swollen creek and low lying areas along side. Water levels had subsided but there were still pools covered by a thin icy layer masking their location.

I managed to get far enough out on the ice before it gave way and my foot dropped into a shallow pool only a couple of inches deep. Waterproof winter hikers saved me from a cold wet foot. As for my companion and his adventure with the ice, well that's a story best left for him to tell.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment