2012-04-30

Photo of the Week 2012-04-30

Every now and then there is an image that really resonates with me, one that I keep coming back to in my mind, one that I know I want to craft into a fine art piece that I'll proudly display on my own walls. Forest Mist is such an image. Taken just about two months ago it's an image that I have envisioned for a long time. The vision was there, I just needed to place myself in the right condtions at the right time to be able to capture the scene.
I was pleased with the colour version that I had processed it with a slight vignette and a fair amount of dodging and burning reminiscent of work previously done in the "wet" darkroom. Several sizes and itterations of the work had been printed to scrutinize before committing to frame and hang the result. Still, it wasn't until I was studying images from another photographer with a series of warmtoned B&W landscapes that I considered processing this one in B&W.
I had been doing some some research on "intimate landscapes" as introduced by photographer Eliot Porter and came across the work of Guy Tal. Some time spent reviewing Guy's images and a few other references on warm toned B&W images and I knew what I needed to do to complete my work on forest mist.


forest light - monochrome

... it's already printed for my office, larger version for home to come.


 DJE

3 comments:

  1. Andrea Cartwright30 April 2012 at 07:17

    Wow.. just stunning....!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Andrea. This one should be hanging in my office very soon.
      :-)

      Delete
  2. NOW THAT SHOULD BE A WALL ART! BEHIND MY SOFA IN THE LIVING ROOM... GO DOUG! GREAT SHOT!

    ReplyDelete