2011-08-01

Photo of the Week 2011-08-01

roadside dawn


The really good light for photography occurs early during these summer months, very early. With sunrise taking place just after 6:00 am, getting to a location for the really good light means being there by 6:30. Capturing the glow of the morning sun as it approached the horizon ... at least an hour earlier than that. Add travel time to the location and this can require departures while it's still dark.

I'm normally an early riser and there are many early morning images in my library ... but, as of late I've taken to "banker hours", or so a friend chided me recently. After meeting up to scout out a location that my friend had photographed many times before, the good light was gone. We were too late ... by a long shot. He had arrived early and made a couple of stunning images and I was left to snap off a few that left me wanting "the really good light".

OK, lesson learned. I need to start getting my sorry butt out of the house and off to the shooting location earlier ... as I did for this week's shot. As a matter of fact, this image was almost captured too late. The sun was over the trees and rising in a cloudless sky. The morning mist was beginning to burn off. Not to worry, we'd been out shooting for almost an hour and at least 30 minutes at this location.

I'm reminded why I love getting up and out early ...

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment