2023-10-30

Photo of the Week 2023-10-30

One week ago I had just returned from the shores of Lake Superior where I joined a handful of other photographers for several days of shooting immersed in the outstanding Algoma District of Ontario. The Lake Superior Wild & Scenic Photography Retreat hosted by Andrew McLachlan and operated out of Rock Island Lodge had long been on my wish list, or rather it's predecessor had. Since travelling to the area for work over a decade ago, then researching the area for solo photo exploits, I found it was home to an organized photo workshop and the seed was sewn.
 
The weeks and days preceding my return to this stunningly beautiful part of Ontario, had me struggling with my photography, feeling uninspired. Though it's happened before, given the time of year when fall colours were vibrant, I was in an odd place creatively and hopeful that the coming experience would see me through it.
 
The drive up Highway 17 from Sault Ste. Marie to Wawa, provided opportunity for stops at Chippewa Falls, Sand River and Old Woman Bay to test the waters and whet my appetite (puns intended). Though we would return to two of these locations in the coming days, I was able to get the creative wheel turning again ...
 
... then after arriving at the lodge, meeting our hosts and the other photographers, it was time for a first sunset shoot out on the shore.
 
' magenta moments '
You can find the images from this outing in my flickr album "Algoma" along with photos from my previous visits to the area. Most recent images will be added at the top of the album page and expect a few more over the coming days and maybe week or so. Yes the trip was that successful, I'm still working through the captures.
 
DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment