2022-06-27

Photo of the Week 2022-06-27

 
At long last, with mine own eyes I experienced the beauty that is Rosslyn Chapel ...
 

... and my long anticipated visit to this iconic structure did not disappoint. In fact it overwhelmed. Less than a handful of times in my life have I been so awestruck by that which man has created. For much of our brief visit, I was left speechless.
 
I had not expected the rainbow of colour presented by the carved sandstone, particularly the exterior that has been spared a misguided conservation attempt half a century ago. That process saw cement slurry brushed over the interior surfaces to protect against moisture, not only masking the colours but the exquisite carving details as well.

What beauty, what detail and what colours. Photography was not permitted in the interior, though I may have made a shot or two discretely from the hip as we explored inside. For now let's focus on the first of my images from the exterior. To see the complete set as I undoubtedly add more from this experience of a lifetime, click here for the flickr collection, a number of which I plan to print and display at home.


DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment