2022-06-06

Photo of the Week 2022-06-06

 
My wildflower photography season on 'the Bruce' opens in May with some wild orchids beginning to show up mid to late month. A hectic schedule over the next several weeks had me wondering how much opportunity I would have for my annual donning of the knee pads ... 
 
... and then to my surprise, a blooming Striped Coralroot Orchid right outside my door !
 
' Blooming Striped Coralroot '

 
... about 25cm tall, I had not seen one in this location before. This plant caught my eye, highlighted by the dappled morning sunlight, as I prepared for some yard-work around the cottage. I was well aware of 3 other plants in an area at another corner of the building and consciously steer clear of the area to ensure their safety, but this was a very welcome addition to property.

Perhaps it was the light, or perhaps the timing, perhaps just luck that this plant was actively blooming. I can't say that I'd seen Striped Coralroot in vibrant bloom before with it's yellow and dark coral coloured flowers..
 
' Striped Coralroot Blooms '
 
Definitely a very exciting find for me.
 
DJE 

No comments:

Post a Comment