2020-04-27

Photo of the Week 2020-04-27


' from the archive '

Switching things up after a string of posts from Windfields Farm and before that, other abandonments, though I'm still mining my library of images having photographed little in the last 8 weeks ...

' yellow eye '


I think all photographers go through a "bird phase" at some point. For that you likely need a telephoto lens and my first for my digital cameras was the Canon EF 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM. The lens was touted for it's sharpness and versatility but not part of the Canon L-series and hence not with the accompanying price tag.

The next step is frequently to visit a zoo or a location like the Mounstberg Raptor Centre. Back in 2012 when I visited, their birds were all rescues in rehabilitation of deemed unsuitable for release back into the wild. Personnel at the centre cared for the birds and used them for public education. Many of the birds were kept in enclosures that allowed photography through wire netting. There were also paid sessions where handlers would bring birds out and perch them for photographers to snap pics.

On my first visit to the centre, I happened to arrive just as the Snowy Owls were being tended to by staff. They had just watered the vegetation in the enclosure and the two Snowies were sitting near the front looking at the keeper, he commented "they want their bath" and gently sprayed them with the hose. I grabbed this image while one was still fixated on getting it's shower.

The images is processed with "selective colour", the eye being the only colour in the frame, everything else converted to grayscale (B&W). It's not something I normally do, or like for that matter. But a friend asked me if I would make a print as a gift for someone who loved owls.

Here's the image without selective colour ...




DJE

2 comments: