2020-01-13

Photo of the Week 2020-01-13

With yesterday's storm that whipped up winds and waves on Georgian Bay, the Lion's Head Lighthouse was battered to pieces. It had suffered beatings in recent years but with water levels much higher in 2019, waves easily topped the breakwater and began taking their toll on the wooden structure. Yesterday was just the last straw.

I'm sure the community will rally to rebuild it's likeness again, but it may somehow lose a measure of it's former charm. I'm not entirely familiar with the history of the lighthouse, but I recently read that it was a replacement of an earlier structure and not the original. Thee was also talk of moving the structure back from it's prominent position at the tip of the harbour breakwater ... a shame, but understandable.

Here is my photo tribute to the iconic landmark ...

at water's edge
Sails off Lion's Head















ice buildup


Frozen Beacon



















moonlight lighthouse

















... and in closing, an older image I have haven't posted before but I have it printed large and hung in the cottage.


Frozen @ Lion's Head
DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment