2017-01-16

Photo of the Week 2017-01-16

I've recently had a couple of conversations online regarding how I "see" what I photograph, so ... here's my thought process while creating two different compositions, two quite different interpretations of one scene.

Composition can significantly alter mood and feel and it can make or break an image. That's one reason I usually survey the location and make a number of different images from different viewpoints or at different focal lengths when I'm out photographing.

An example of this can be seen in the two images below. For this first image, I used a tighter crop, zooming in on the scene (43mm with my 24-105 Sigma on 5D MkIII according to EXIF). This composition creates a dramatic image, emphasizing the warm orange-gold glow of the sun spilling into the clouds and reflecting onto the ice and open waters of the bay. I chose to position the ice ridge in the foreground bottom of the image to provide an anchor point for the viewer to step into the scene. I also decided to place the horizon in the centre of the image vertically, against the "rule of thirds", as I preferred a balance between cloudy sky and frozen waters.

Huron Sunset I (2017-01-14)
For this second image, made while standing in the same spot, I zoomed out (24mm with my 24-105 Sigma on 5D MkIII according to EXIF) to include more of the surrounding grey sky, ice and shoreline trees. I still chose to place the sun 1/3 of the way into the frame from the left but I lowered the horizon a touch, otherwise I felt there was too much foreground with little interest. I also decided on a slightly brighter exposure by 1/3 stop to lighten the foreground ice and snow. This alters the mood of the image to some degree, making it less dramatic but more pleasing in my opinion. The result is an image showing the context of a glorious Huron sunset


Huron Sunset II (2017-01-14)
To me, they are both print worthy images. I like both, for different reasons. You can let me know what you think.

DJE

8 comments:

  1. Both images are great to me! The first is more about the sunset, the second is more about the land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is interesting to see that you used your 24 - 105mm lens for these shots. I quite like my 18 - 135mm kit lens on my 70D. It gives me nice wide angle and macro shots. I do use some prime lenses for wide angle and macros but the kit lens is on my camera all of the time unless I am going out with a specific project in mind. Nice work Doug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruce.
      The 24-105mm on full frame 5DIII would be the same as 15-65mm on your crop 70D so we're really not that far off with lens choice though you have more reach with 135mm on the long end. Interestingly, for walk-around, I have an 18-300mm Sigma on my crop 7DII most of the time.
      Thanks for taking the time to read and comment.
      Cheers,
      D

      Delete
  3. Doug, I agree with FG's comments. In addition I think it shows the different moods you were in while taking those pictures. I have my own interpretation of those moods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Heather. Nice to hear from you. I trust all is well with you and the family. Thanks for your comment and insights.
      Cheers!

      Delete
  4. You're right....both are beautiful. I think I like the one with the bank of trees on the right. I like that added detail. We had a full house at camera club tonight - you had left before I had a chance to say hi and comment on these shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shari. Thanks for commenting and yes it was good to see a full house and new faces. I had attended Rob's presentation on Landscape Photography at GRIPS last year. There was some overlap but still worthwhile attending.

      Delete