2017-01-02

Photo of the Week 2017-01-02

One morning recently, I headed out to test a new lens I had picked up. My intent was to do some shots with it on both of my DSLR bodies along with another lens for comparison. The light was very dull and grey due to the heavy cloud cover and I limited my shooting to trees and bushes at various distances across a rolling uncultivated farm field.

The outing was purely intended to be a technical exercise given the poor conditions for shooting ... however, the route to the field I had chosen took me right by a favourite old scene. I had recently heard in the news that there had been a fire at this old abandoned farmhouse and immediately my heart sank. So many of the old farm houses and barns are being lost to neglect and fires and hopes of reviving their charm is lost with them.

Whether from careless use of fire by the homeless using it for shelter or from misadventure of some local youth, this historic stone farmhouse is forever transformed. On this day, I was particularly struck by how it's boarded up windows gave the appearance of lights being on inside ... 

' ... but nobody's home'




Just over two years ago I photographed this same house. In the light mist of an early afternoon it still held some promise of being brought back to life. I fear now that it will be condemned, to be torn down or to be left to fully deteriorate from neglect. 

DJE

4 comments:

  1. That is such an interesting, though sad little house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has proven interesting over the few years since I first encountered it FG. I'll have to go back through the my library to see what I have from previous visits. I recall one time a few winters back where a deer must have been struck by a car on the adjacent road and managed to make it down the embankment to an area about where I stood to make these shots. There were coyote tracks running in all directions from that spot and virtually nothing left of the deer.

      Delete
  2. beautiful, if melancholy - and so true about the seeming light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nashwa, thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

      Delete