2016-02-01

Photo of the Week 2016-02-01

I have mixed feelings when it comes to certain projects and challenges applied to creative pursuits. For those not familiar with the idea, the intent is to begin a project or participate in a challenge with the goal of pushing yourself out of a creative rut or to learn new elements of your craft. For example, in photographic terms, a "365 Project" is one that requires the participant to make and post one photo every day for a year, hence the 356 reference. A challenge could be to restrict the number of photos you make on a particular day, or to use only a fixed focal length lens for a period of time. There are countless other variations both that are touted frequently on social media and in photographic circles.

Why do I have mixed feelings about these? Well I think sometime they are perceived or expected to be the magic cure for what ails one creatively, be it the dreaded 'block', lack of variety, or some other affliction. I think they can work from time to time or be part of the solution, but in my experience they can also add to the frustration at times when you just really need to take a break. Other times they can be just what the creative doctor ordered and get you to try something new. They can open up a whole new creative world to experience or push you to learn a new skill or technique. The difficulty is knowing what is right at what time.

Recently a friend, Karen VonKnobloch, invited me to a 7 Day Nature Photography Challenge on Facebook. This challenge was not to go out and make new images, but to select images from your library and post one each day for a week. The challenge was 'thrown down' at a time when Karen knew I was searching for some additional activity and interaction with my photography. I was looking for the spark, to reignite the flame that I felt might be fading. She cleverly helped me find it in my own work. So here are my selections from the 7 Day Nature Challenge.

morning whispers

perched

falls in the clouds
Algonquin Winter Sunset

Winter Morning at Little Cove - III
Cold Dawn at Silver Falls
Autumn at 'the Crack'

During the 7 Days I was posting these images to FB, another friend suggested 7 Days of Tobermory ... and it spawned further ideas for 7 Days of Hay Bay and 7 Days of the Bruce, all subjects that stir my photographic passion. It seems in this case, the spark was in the challenge and the fuel for the fire in my own work.
DJE

2 comments:

  1. Well you certainly picked 7 spectacular pix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks FG, it was an fulfilling challenge that made me go back and review my work. I found it interesting that most of the images I selected were from 2010-2012 when I was exploring new locations. I have always known that I am inspired by new locations and scenery.

      Delete