2016-02-29

Photo of the Week 2016-02-29

On a blustery winter morning, with unseasonably warm temperatures melting what little snow was left, a visit to a favourite location, was in order. Cold damp winds off Georgian Bay buffeted us as we reached the shore and emerged from the protection of the trees. It wasn't long before I was tugging at my coat's zipper, pulling it all the way up to keep the chills away.

When photographing at familiar locations, the challenge can be coming up with something different. This was certainly the case during this outing. Skies were grey, overcast and mostly uninteresting. There were no interesting shore ices formations to speak of and I walked about, trying to find something of interest. After a while, I found myself standing, mesmerized, watching the waves break over a large rock at the edge of the water.

'waves at shore'
Little Cove 2016-02-21
I decided to set up the tripod and attempt to capture the 'feel' of the breaking waves by not freezing the movement with a fast shutter speed, but rather allowing a bit of blur to convey a sense of motion. An ND filter would have come in handy if only I hadn't left it in my large kit bag back at the cottage.

Exposure info for those interested.
0.5 s, f/22, ISO 100 @ 26 mm

DJE

2 comments: