2015-08-17

Photo of the Week 2015-08-17



"... activities focused on repetition tend to increase our awareness of variation. I have also found that repetitive expressions tend to liberate me from the self-imposed pressure to be 'creative' and 'innovative'. As I stick to the task of repetition I discover how the creative process varies itself."
                                                                                            Trust The Process - Shaun McNiff

In creating or selecting an image for this blog each week, I have been faced with the recurring dilemma of creating something new, selecting something different vs. using something similar to a prior post. Allowing repetition, if not focusing on repetition in my creative efforts may help me overcome the mental block imposed by my desire to always "find something new".

Thus far, I have always found more inspiration in the freshness of places and subjects new or unfamiliar as evidenced by my efforts to seek out a new trail or new location to explore. The task of always finding something new is daunting and can dampen the creative spirit.

Readings on the creative process, and particularly quotes like the one opening this blog post, help me to assess my own creative journey and understand how seeking out the new and unfamiliar, revisiting the same subject and experimenting with different media and techniques all play a role in creative development.

For me this week's image is not simply another image of sunset along the shore. It was born of an effort to explore the familiar, to be open to what I may be given, to accept it and just create.

taming waters
DJE

1 comment:

  1. Helpful thoughts (and a beautiful picture). I too get tired of shooting the same things, and always want to go find something new. Need to be more creative.

    ReplyDelete