2014-05-26

Photo of the Week 2014-05-26

A week of vacation started Saturday morning with a leisurely drive to the cottage in Tobermory after making sure I had enough photo gear packed ;-)

We arrived around noon, unpacked, then got settled in and just kicked back for the rest of the day. Then, after dinner I went down to the shoreline to check out sunset and possibly make a few images. Being careful to watch my footing on the uneven rock while looking for a suitable point of view, I noticed a small flower growing out of a crack in the dolostone. For reference, I grabbed a quick shot of it and made a note to come back in the morning with my macro lens. 

Admittedly, I'm far from an expert when it comes to identifying flora and fauna, but I am learning and intend to photograph many of the species I encounter on the Bruce. This time with the help of my wildflower reference book and I was able to determine that the pretty little specimen was Bird's-Eye Primrose or Dwarf Canadian Primrose.

Bird's Eye Bug
I've noticed several other flowering plant species so far during the weekend's outings. It should be fun photographing these spring beauties and learning along the way.
 
DJE

4 comments:

  1. Flowers are peculiar creations. With colours added to impress bugs (I am told), it's surely a huge added bonus that they are pretty to us humans - and how..! I pity the odd soul who fail see the beauty in nature. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit. There is a whole new nature/photography experience for me now that we have a cottage on the Bruce Peninsula. It is a wonder to watch the land and nature morph as the seasons pass ... and this is still my first year here.

      Delete
  2. Cousin Doug! This is beautiful! I am jealous of you and Lynn this week as I sit in the office. But I can't wait to come up this summer! (Amanda)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amanda. I thought of posting a photo of the view from my "office" window looking out to the bay ... butI thought you may have been tormented enough by Lynn with her txt photos every day ;-)

      Delete