2014-04-21

Photo of the Week 2014-04-21

Everyone loves a sunset. 

As a photographer, my challenge is not only to capture the mood of a sunset but also to present it in a way that brings something different to the viewing experience. Sunsets can be very cliché and can too easily appear "snapshot"(ish). To avoid this and bring some interest to my sunset images, I start off applying the guidelines of good composition and modify using my experience to deliver my artistic vision of the scene.

This week's image is a good example to illustrate what I mean. Sunsets over Lake Huron and on the Bruce Peninsula are spectacular. It's one reason (of many) Lynn and I chose our cottage location. We see stunning sunset after sunset here. Our drive up after work on Thursday for the Easter long weekend had us north of Wiarton as sun was setting. I pointed out the colour through the trees to Lynn as we drove along Hwy 6. When we reached Ferndale Flats, the sky was aglow in fantastic fuchsia pink but it was just another spectacular sunset until ...

... until I saw the reflections. The farm fields of the flats were flooded with spring meltwaters and still in the calm evening air. Their mirrored surface reflecting the colours of the sky flashed as we flew by. Then as we passed one field in particular I noticed a gate that would provide a nice foreground element for an image and that was my signal to stop.

I approached the gate and surveyed the scene preparing to make some images. In my mind, composition guidelines; rule of thirds, leading lines, diagonals, "S" curves, foreground, mid-ground, background, depth of focus ... 

... the fence, open gate, horizon, pink splash in the sky and reflection, edges of the water.

fuchsia fields
It all came together to create more than just another sunset image. How many composition guidelines do you think I used ... or broke?

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Isn't the idea to know the rules, to better be able to break them? ;) As long as the image works, I reckon the fixation on composition rules is subordinate. But then, I guess, the image works _because_ the rules were followed, at least to some extent. I love what you did here, anyway - with the reflection, and also by bringing "stuff" into the foreground rather than trying to avoid them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Birgit, "They" say that you need to learn the rules before you break them, but then "they" say a lot of things don't "they" ;-) I'm with you and agree it's "as long as the image works".
      Lately I've been trying to be more aware of composition in my images. I sometimes make different versions of a scene and take note of why I prefer one over the other based on composition. It's all part of the journey.
      Thanks for stopping by and commenting.
      D

      Delete