2013-08-05

Photo of the Week 2013-08-05

At it's core, this blog is about photography. It was started it as a result of my enthusiastic return to the creative pursuit of photography after years of using a camera sporadically, only to take "snapshots". My photographic journey has pushed me to open my mind, encouraging me to explore and experience the subjects of my photographs and their environment.

Overall, I now find myself making less images on my photo outings. It is not something that I try to do intentionally. It is something that has developed with my maturation as a photographer. No longer do I suffer the uncontrollable urge to begin shooting away indiscriminately when first presented with a subject. This doesn't mean that I'm not excited at the prospect of a new location or scene, just that I find my approach more refined and contemplative.

This weekend's outing took us to the Cheltenham Badlands. Arriving just after sunrise in the brisk morning air, I began by moving around the location, exploring different vantage points. The sun was moving too, cresting the horizon, selectively waking the landscape as it slowly rose higher in the sky. Contemplating the development of an image, when the time was just  right, I made my way to a spot where I could isolate a lone tree against shadowed background as sunlight called on it to start a new day.

daylight cometh to the badlands
Not only has this journey providing opportunity to be creative through photography, it has lead me to explore creativity in other ways. After working this location for a while and making most of the images I would capture on this day, I broke from photography to sit and sketch. Yes SKETCH. Now, carrying a sketchbook and pen will be the norm when I'm out photographing. The act of sketching makes me take notice of the subject in different ways. There is a calming, meditative quality about sitting with sketchbook and pen. I hope this will ultimately improve my photography.

I have Patrick to thank for encouraging me after recent discussions around our photography led to the subject of drawing and sketching. It had always interested me but I lacked the confidence to start, thinking I had no talent for drawing. It may still be that I don't ...  but I now know it doesn't matter. It's all part of the journey and at this stage, one to new and vulnerable to share openly yet.


Doug at work - by Patrick Boerlin 2013
Oh, and here's an image of me while I was working the location, taken by Patrick just before I looked up and caught him photographing me :-)  






DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment