2012-08-27

Photo of the Week 2012-08-27

With the lack or precipitation this year I've watched the level in Guelph Lake continually drop to where it is lower than I can recall in the 25 years since I moved to Guelph. Normally when the lake level drops it's usual amount over the summer, stumps and features along a band close to the shoreline are revealed. I thought this may be a good time to check out the area and make some surreal shots of these normally submerged features.

I made a reconnaissance of the location with Lynn on Friday evening since the pre-dawn hours Saturday were not the time to find the right parking spot and trail to take. To my pleasant surprise, we were treated to a beautiful sunset and reflection on what remained of the calm water surface. I also got my first look at just how much the water level was down. At some points, the man made lake was more like a large puddle. We walked the shoreline (as it is) with Murphy for quite a while until light was lost beyond the horizon and I was able to make a good number of images that will add to my sunset library. Reconnaissance completed, home we went and I prepared my gear for the normal Saturday morning outing crossing my fingers for some fog.

Heading out with a photo cohort at 6am, it was soon apparent that the fog had not materialized to the extent that I would have liked. There was a haze close to the ground, just enough to create a mist on the horizon. We arrived at the location and walked along the muddy grey-brown exposed lake bed finding different elements and scenes to shoot. Then we turned a corner and I saw some algae at the edge of the receding water glowing in a patch of morning's light.

morning glow
Although a Blue Heron and a number of Sandpipers were in this area at various times, I chose to make this image when they had moved on. The lack of something to give scale to the image adds to it's abstract quality. I also shot this from a distance using a long focal length to compress the scene and use the thin layer of clearing haze to soften the details add add to the mood.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment