2012-09-03

Photo of the Week 2012-09-03

I took a couple days of vacation recently to head up to Tobermory with a buddy for some photography. The Grey-Bruce area and particularly the Bruce Peninsula is a favourite location for landscape and nature images but there are countless old farm and rural structures that make excellent subject matter as well.

We left Guelph early in the morning so we could reach our first stop near Chatsworth while the sun would still be low in the sky spilling light on to some farm ruins and a small rustic cabin. My buddy had been wanting to shoot the cabin in the right light for a long time and I found interest in the farm ruins that had deteriorated significantly in the couple of years since I had first photographed them.

I crossed an area of knee high grass to get to the barn structure and found myself getting soaked from the dew. As I rounded the north-west corner of the barn, I saw light streaming through a large garage sized opening onto some goldenrod. I made a few images from this point of view and then continued around the barn. When I stepped into the light from the opening I was struck by the scene captured in this week's photo.

morning on the farm
It took a little bit of post processing to hold back the extreme brightness of the sunlight in the sky and then to bring out some detail in the shadow of the log roof over the opening.

It's encouraging when the first stop on a photo trip yields a great image.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment