2011-10-17

Photo of the Week 2011-10-17

looking back


... another lesson learned.

It is important to have others look at your work and provide feedback. "Others" can mean friends, family, casual or experienced photographers. Each can provide their own insight into your images.

By chance, I was looking through images from my library when my wife shuffled up beside me to ask a question and noticed shots of my eldest son and his girlfriend that I had taken almost exactly a year ago. They were part of an exercise I had chosen to advance my skills by simulating a couples shoot. I had looked through the images many times and it took my wife to draw my attention to the image above. She saw something that maybe I had missed. There is a quality about the image that I like. It makes me smile ...

On a related note, this week's photo was taken 2010-10-17, exactly a year ago to the day this blog post is being published. There is a profound significance to 10-17 in my life. It was my father's birthday. Today he would have been 80. Those who have read the "About Me" section of this blog or my flickr profile will know that it was Dad that got me started on this photographic journey. Looking back, I have so much to thank him for and I'm glad I took the time to tell him while I could.

Happy Birthday Dad.

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Ole to England, 1st generation:

    What a great man he was (and now through his son). From one friend who knew the importance of this special relationship with his father, I too wish Doug's Dad happy birthday.

    To me however - Photography was the lesser pass down that Doug gained from his dad, instead (love of family) the obvious relationship he and his wife have with their boys is the real gift, this picture illustrates that to me.

    Also photography helped slow down that club making phase :-)

    TOB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Doug, Not a week passes when I don't think of your dad....like a second father to me, growing up around him I learned a lot about life, compassion, honesty and enjoying times with family and friends.Our golf trips to Ottawa and Myrtle Beach were priceless, the loaf brothers,Hooters in Florida I could go on and on..he took me golfing for the very first time some 50 years ago...a game I enjoy to this day..he was gone too soon......I sat with him at the kitchen table in Port Perry planning a golf trip for the four of us on his recovery..."something to look forward to " he said..always in my heart...Happy B Day Uncle John

    ReplyDelete