2010-01-01

Welcome to 2010

Happy New Year Everyone.

It has become something of a tradition, if you can call the past two years in a row a tradition, to capture “first light” of the New Year in an image. It began with a challenge from an acquaintance, Alan Norsworthy, that I had just met through photography, more specifically flickr. Alan had suggested that I join the local flickr group and threw out a challenge to the group to capture “first light” of 2008. With the New Year fast approaching no one had taken up the challenge. I decided to answer the call.

I had been mostly been a “lone wolf” when it came to doing my photography. The act of joining the flickr community and activities like Alan’s “first light” challenge have helped me advance my photography in terms of technique, photographic vision, creativity and technical knowledge well beyond anything I would have accomplished as a “lone wolf”. In addition, Alan has become a good friend and we enjoy many photo outings together and with other friends that I have met through my reacquaintance with photography.

Here is my response to Alan’s 2010 First Light Challenge.

First light 2010, taken at sunrise, 7:58 AM in Galt, ON

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you took up the challenge Doug, it gets lonely out on the frozen streets, before dawn, on New Years Day :-)

    Our little band of adventurers is growing slowly ....
    "We few, we happy few" (Henry V)

    Attempting this with a lensbaby was imaginative to say the least and it worked !
    Great shot, worthy of the 'tradition' !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats spending good times with your friends doing what you love to do! Looking forward to seeing what your blog brings for 201o!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And from waaay out west, a relative says, "Good shot!". I'll have to show you some of mine.

    ReplyDelete