2010-01-14

Going back through the library

I was chatting with a friend recently about how some of his images simply get downloaded to the HDD and wait there, sometimes months, for him to come back to them and see what a day's shooting had produced. I remarked that I always check out my images from a shoot soon after I had returned and make some initial picks and deletes. He in turn responded that he was quite content to leave them there and get back to them ... whenever. I had been aware of his approach for some time and it has always intrigued me. Although I don't think I will change and stop looking at the latest images right away, I will go back through my library and revisit images from past shoots to see what might have improved with age or simply been overlooked in the initial rush ...
With this approach in mind I was moved to go back to my captures from a vacation in Nova Scotia Sept'09. I knew there were lots from those days, sitting, just waiting ...

path to enlightenment


1 comment:

  1. I think it only works with JPEGS and not raw image files, but my photo collection is also served up at random as my Windows desktop every few minutes. This often gives me pause to take a second look at an image weeks/months/years after it was taken, and I occasionaly see new possibilities in them. More serendipity than process, but it's a lot of fun to unexpectedly rediscover things you didn't know you had.

    ReplyDelete