2023-11-13

Photo of the Week 2023-11-13

 
It had been a while since last away on a photo retreat or workshop and once all the planning, preparing, packing, paying and travel to get there is done, it was time to make best use of shooting time and all available opportunities ...
 
' rock & ripples '
After another shoreline sunrise shoot at the lodge we were on the road and away from our accommodations in the strong sunlight of an uncharacteristically calm and warm late October morning. We had stopped at a little day-use park area and the group was scrambling around some
interesting headland rock formations using the time to photograph details and patterns. Uninspired by the harsh lighting and a bit frustrated with the cramped location, I wandered away from the group and explored the sandy beach along the south side of Katherine Cove.

When I came across this rock embedded in the sand at water's edge I liked the simplicity of the scene but my first thought was that the glare off the water would be a problem. I decided to add a polarizing filter to my lens and see if they could be tamed. I turned the filter ring as I  re-positioned and voila! Magically the ripples below the water surface were revealed and the added bonus of darkening the exposure brought out the warm rich tones of the sand.

As often happens when I'm out with a group of photographers, I'm pushed to explore more, to work the location more, to extract more ... and there you go, opportunity not wasted ;-)
 
DJE

2 comments: