2019-04-22

Photo of the Week 2019-04-22

As a photographer, I find my photogrpaher's eye always on the lookout for possible images. 

While on a recent personal journey to the Netherlands, the main purpose of which was not photography related, my photographer's eye still identified opportunities for an image. Whether passively or actively, the eye is always working ...

De Oversteek (The Crossing)
In Nijmegen, NL, there is a bridge dedicated to the memory of WWII Allied soldiers who crossed the Waal River on September 20,1944. 48 from the US 82nd Airborne gave their lives in this endeavour. The bridge stands as a tribute to their sacrifice and a Sunset March is held every day of the year in their honour.

On a cool(ish) April evening, joined approximately 40 others, of various origins, to march with Coert Langenhuijzen of Team 31 across De Oversteek. For me, quite a moving tribute.

After the solemn salute at the memorial cairn on the north side, I returned in across the bridge in now darkness. My eye caught the shapes and patterns of light and dark and I captured the image above, a reminder of my Sunset March.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment