2019-04-15

Photo of the Week 2019-04-15

Last week's tribute post coincided with the 74th Anniversary of my grandfather being killed in action during WWII. On that day I was nearing the conclusion of my pilgrimage through the Netherlands to the place he was killed and his grave in Holten Canadian War Cemetery.

While on this trip, I took time to capture elements of the journey through my lens. This post, with WWII related content, may not be of interest to regular followers of my work, nor may the content be comfortable for some. But I am compelled to capture what I experience with my camera, it's what I do.

Those who cannot remember the past ...

First stop on my trek after landing in Amsterdam at 6:30 am local was Camp Vught, a fitting beginning to a place of hardship and atrocities suffered under the Nazi regime. If you are interested in the background story to each image, click the link just before each to open learn more.

I began my time here with a hike through the woods to the Execution Site where 329 people, mostly Dutch Resistance fighters, were executed and the memorial that now marks the spot.

Execution Site




 Konzentrationslager Herzogenbusch



Children's Monument



Bunker Tragedy



Wall of Reflection



 My visit, a very sobering experience that I will never forget ...

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Pretty powerful images Doug. Can't imagine what it's like to actually stand there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until you do, you simply can’t imagine.The concrete fence post in the lead image is original. The sorrow that it I felt when I touched it was undeniable ...

      Delete