2018-08-06

Photo of the Week 2018-08-06


arching
In some locations, weather patterns change quickly and what may not look promising at the outset can turn around to provide dramatic or unique scenes.

Such was the case the other evening when it looked as if sunset was going to fizzle out after showing promise earlier. Making the decision to head out in the kayaks proved the point and I was able to get a wide variety of sunset shots as the cloud rapidly changed over no more than 40 minutes.

I usually target evenings with calm waters, allowing me to work with the reflection of the setting sun and cloud on the smooth surface. While not particularly rough, the bay was far from still as I set out. Some may know that I'm not fully at ease on the water, but it's the ability to capture scenes like this that have me working to expand my comfort zone with each and every outing.

Finding a spot off a point of land where the waves off Lake Huron and their reflections from the far shore were creating a sort of dead area, eddy, I set up and worked to manoeuvre the kayak to obtain the composition I wanted. Trying to keep the scene framed in camera while rolling with the waves is a little like having your buddy constantly bumping you in the shoulder as he talks to you while you try and photograph (except you can't punch him back).  You just have to persevere and keep shooting until you have something you can work with.

Just to take it to another level though, I thought I'd try a hand held panorama, shooting multiple images that would be stitched together later in post. The sky was showcasing an arch formation of clouds that needed wider than my 24mm (equiv.) to get in the frame and I didn't want to miss it. On the first attempt, I managed 7 images rotating as much as I dared in the seat of the kayak without overturning it.

Not a bad result eh?

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment