2015-05-11

Photo of the Week 2015-05-11

I've been experimenting with my image post processing lately. It's all part of the journey. Trying new things is like creative exercise, flexing the artistic muscle if you like.

An approach that simplifies the detail in my original capture causes me to look more at the graphic elements and colours of an image. It removes reality to an extent, masks the flaws that I can become obsessed with causing me to give up on an image.  

For example, in this week's image, there are focus issues. The depth of field is too shallow, caused to some extent by me working hand held without a tripod, but also because I was shooting at a 135mm focal length at an oblique angle across a patch of trilliums, not wanting to step amongst them and cause any damage. Rather than give up on an image that I liked because the foreground and background were not in sharp focus, I decided to process the image with a Photoshop plug-in, Topaz Simplify, and create graphic photo-realistic like result.

In this, I see things that can help my photography, improve the original capture, strengthen my composition. Letting go a bit and trying something different can be a good thing. I'm not worried what others may say or think. After all, it's my journey.

By the way, I've widened the format of the blog post so the landscape format images are no longer cut off a bit on the right side when I post them large. Please let me know if you have any trouble viewing and if you see an improvement.

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Makes me feel homesick for Ontario, Doug. Great picture! Your composition gives those trilliums a very festive and special appearance. I continue to enjoy your weekly e-mails - in fact, as I've mentioned before, your accompanying stories about the photos are equally enjoyable to me. Keep up the good work, Doug!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Heather :-)

      Please use the reply function on my Photo of the Week email to send me your mailing address and I'll send you and 8 1/2 x 11 print of this weeks image.

      DJE

      Delete