2015-05-18

Photo of the Week 2015-05-18

Now and then I take an introspective browse through my image catalogue, finding inspiration, motivation, reliving the shooting experiences, not actively searching but leaving myself open to see the images again.

With several thousand images in the catalogue, it can be difficult to decide where to start. Pointing a random finger may work but one way is to look one, two, three or any number of years ago from the current date. 

This can be an interesting exercise. Sometimes it results in dissatisfaction with much of my work. Sometimes it stirs vivid memories. Sometimes something stands out. Always I learn something

hues of blue I
When I came across the image above, I was surprised that I had only marked is with one star. This typically indicates that on first pass I saw something but then abandoned it as a candidate for further attention, yet again the image caused me to stop and evaluate.

What appeals to me is the simplicity of the image and the limited blue colour palette. What I am reminded of is how some of my most personally satisfying images prrovide the viewer with common sights, presented in an uncommon, some might say unconventional way.

For this image, the conventional composition would have been to include some of the shoreline in the image, which I certainly captured in additional images from the outing, but excluding the shoreline and using the rippled texture of the blue water leaves the viewer to use their imagination to complete this scene.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment