2015-01-19

Photo of the Week 2015-01-19

Not every image is a winner, many, perhaps most, are not even keepers ...

I was reading a photography article online recently that touched on a familiar question. "What is it that draws me to a scene and motivates me to make an image" ? The article suggests that "there is one question you should ask yourself before taking any picture" .

For me it translates to "What am I trying to create in making this image?"

Like the author of the article, most of the time I react to scenes in front of me as opposed to undertaking a detailed analysis before making an image. I've worked hard to quiet my analytical side and allow creativity through to take the lead. I do believe it's a good to keep why I'm making a particular image and what I am trying to say with it in mind along with compositional and exposure guidelines. My reasons for creating an image may be anything from simply "here is a beautiful scene" to "wow look at this, I really need to show this to others".

This week, while I was making the image below, there were no questions, no answers  consciously running through my mind, just ... "this is freaking awesome !" Now that I have the image, I do want to share it with others, it is beautiful, it fills the viewer with wonder and amazement and it tells the story of light pollution.


Orion Rising
I made this image a couple of nights ago, on a crisp winter night at the cottage, with still winds and the temperature at -22*C. It was 10:00 pm and quite pleasant standing at the shoreline watching the stars, listening to the alien like gurgle-glug-gloog of water moving under the ice. Fortunately Lynn was there to share the experience with me. As a matter of fact it was at her suggestion we decided to head down to the shore in the first place.

Enjoy !

DJE

2 comments:

  1. Hey Doug.
    Very nice picture. I like the fact that there seems to be different perspective possible.The sky is magificient, but the shoreline and the Snowy grounds with the light (coming from behind you I imagine) makes it very interesting...
    Do you know what makes the orange/yellow appear in the far away sky?

    FRED

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment Fred.

      The low cloud cover to the south reflects the light from and population centre, I'm not sure that it's from as far away as Wiarton or Owen Sound but there's not much else around to generate that type of light. Sunset was over 4 hours earlier so I don't think it had any contribution.

      Delete