2015-01-12

Photo of the Week 2015-01-12

Five years ago this past weekend, I met up with a small group of photographers and went on a hike to the base of Tews Falls in Dundas, ON. I had known it was possible to hike up the gorge from the point where it meets Hwy 8 in Dundas, but had the opportunity to have someone familiar with the route show me the way.

When we approached the base of the falls, there were intricate ice formations not only from the main falls, but from water seeping out of the rock for a wide area around the head of the gorge. Here I made one of my favourite abstract images.
Ice Formations
 It is difficult to get a sense of scale from the abstract image.

Here is an ultra wide angle view of the falls from near the base. At 41m, it is only slightly less than the height of Niagara Falls.

It was a memorable view, one that I want to experience again, perhaps later this year. But I need to decide if I want to see it frozen again, or in fall with the splendid colours in the gorge.

 DJE

2 comments:

  1. Doug, delighted to discover your blog, and thanks for visiting mine! Looked back through several of your posts, and i know I'll enjoy following you. Our photographic interests sound similar, though your photos are far more professional! We lived in Guelph for 30+ years before retiring up here. We love the Bruce Peninsula, and are planning to park our camper trailer up at Miller Lake next summer. Started visiting Tobermory when I was 14, and had a cottage on Manitoulin for awhile. Enjoy your photography!

    ReplyDelete
  2. FG - Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words. With similar photographic interests and time on the Bruce in common, perhaps we will run into each other. Feel free to email me when you plan to be at the trailer and maybe we can meet up for a chat.

    ReplyDelete