2014-02-10

Photo of the Week 2014-02-10

It was four weeks since I was at the cottage. Tobermory had been cut off from points south for almost two weeks due to high winds, blowing snow and white-outs closing Highway 6 from Wiarton north. When we arrived this past weekend, there was some digging to do just to get to the cottage door to get it open before I could get the snow-blower running.

Saturday began with a short hike on the roads around the cottage before we were off to hang a collection of my images at a local mercantile gallery (but that's a story for another blog post). I was anxious to get out and see how the winter storms had transformed the landscape but it was work first and I spent the rest of the day relaxing and puttering about the cottage, clearing some more snow and then settling in after dinner to watch the Leafs game.

Lynn made the suggestion of a hike to Little Dunk's Bay for Sunday morning and I thought the trail would be if relatively good shape to hike without snowshoes. When we headed headed out around 8:30, large fluffy flakes of snow were falling heavily (if that makes sense). The snow had accumulated more than I anticipated and the trees were covered with thick marshmallow like clumps of snow that tumbled down on us now and then as we made our way on the trail. I was stopping frequently to photograph the scenes, trying to capture the feel of the winter wonderland we were passing through ... but it was when we came out of the trees that I was stopped dead in my tracks by the scene below.

Little Dunk's 2014-02-09
I've said it more than once before on this blog, and I'll say it again ...  I love Winter ! It`s better if you embrace it and get out to experience it rather than sitting inside wishing for summer. It's scenes and experiences just like this that make me enjoy winter so much. This is why I get out of a warm house or cottage and go for a hike, long or short it doesn't matter. These are the winter scenes that I love to find and capture.

For me and photography, this was a good day ... a very, very good day :-)

DJE  

No comments:

Post a Comment