2012-10-01

Photo of the Week 2012-10-01

When this blog entry is automatically posted I'll be in beautiful Northern Ontario just finishing up a 3-day Photography Workshop led by Doug Wilson at Charlton Lake Camp near Willisville. It's the first in a series of workshops I intend to take as I push boundaries on my photographic journey.

I've written before about my love of Northern Ontario and it's beautiful scenery, particularly in Autumn. There were questions about fall colours this year given the extremely dry weather we've had. With the significant lack of rainfall, would there be any colour?, would leaves just turn brown and fall off?, would ...

A recent trip to Thunder Bay and Kenora provided some answers. The yellow and green colours of the birch and poplar are prevalent in the area but there are also reds and oranges from maples and smaller brush and bushes. I was able to make this week's image during my drive along Hwy 17 just west of Thunder bay. The bright colours of the bushes were popping with the back-light from the morning sun in contrast to the white trunks of the taller birch.


birch 'n colour
There are a number of compositions from this location that are being considered for a print series and framing for the home gallery. The colours in the scene are vivid but I find that they display horribly on some monitors and displays that are not colour calibrated. In fact the image looks washed out on all but the high end Dell monitor I use for image processing. It's quite frustrating when the colour is such an important component of this image.

Ahhhhh, but then there is the print.

DJE
      

No comments:

Post a Comment