2012-07-09

Photo of the Week 2012-07-09

Photo of the Week and a photo experience to remember, all in one ...

Joe, me and "One Light"
... with 300 or so watching.

I attended the One Light, Two Light Seminar in Toronto with the incomparable Joe McNally. This guy is a legend. He has photographed for National Geographic, Life, Sports Illustrated and so many freelance projects it is mind boggling. He's photographed big names like George Lucas, Bill Gates, Cher, Tony Bennett, Gregory Hines to name a few. He's done projects and assignments others can only dream of like "Faces of Ground Zero" . I'd previously attended another of his flash seminars and knew this one too would be well worthwhile.

Joe's always up for a challenge ... that's the only explanation I can come up with for why he would choose me as a subject to begin his lighting demonstration. With just one strobe, on camera, he is capable of manipulating the light, transforming it into something usable. Standing on stage I was trying to keep my attention on what Joe was saying as he took us through the basics of flash coverage, zooming the flash head and finally bouncing the flash off a white background to produce a larger, softer light source as shown in the image above.

One unexpected takeaway for me was the experience of being in front of the camera, particularly with someone like Joe behind it. He certainly has a lot of experience and almost got me to relax for a couple of frames before he let me go back to my seat and concentrate on absorbing all that I could from one of photography's masters.


DJE


No comments:

Post a Comment