2010-12-11

Photo(s) of the Week 2010-12-13

Normally I'll have an image in mind when I make plans to visit a specific location. Even if I have not been to the location before, I've likely checked it out on the internet and searched for images by other photographers. So when I took a vacation day this past Friday to visit the Bruce Peninsula, I was looking for a crisp clear sunrise shot across Georgian Bay with a rocky shoreline in the foreground.

Although the Bruce is easily accessible by car from Guelph where I live, the challenge is to be there early enough to capture sunrise when the drive can be 3 hours or more. So with another photographer, I set out and knocked off most of the drive Thursday evening before grabbing a motel for the night.

I have not visited the Bruce Peninsula extensively but from searching online I have a general familiarity with some of the more popular locations for photography. There are a number of locations where we could have set up for the shot I wanted and we decided to make our first stop at Cape Croker, specifically the lighthouse at the tip of Cape Croker. We arrived just after 7:00 am and weren't in a hurry because there was thick cloud cover and intermittent heavy snow and high wind ... we knew there would be no spectacular sunrise this day.

So what do you do when the elements do not cooperate and your planned shot is scuttled ?
... you capture what you are given.

Here I present a series of images from that first stop of the day:

rocks & wave


Cape Croker - waves 'n shore


cold wave


DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment