2010-10-10

Photo of the Week 2010-10-11

On the second day of my recent trip to the Adirondacks heavy rain deterred us from traveling NY-RTE 86 for the views of the Au Sable River we had seen the previous day. We decided to make the trek to Lake George area for some outlet shopping rather than spend the day inside hoping for the weather to clear.
T
he planned route would take us along NY-RTE 73, unknown to us at the time but called the High Peaks Scenic Byway. What a windfall, the scenery along this route was fantastic, even with the rain ... which by the way let up just enough for a stop along the road to capture this week's image. I could have stayed here and photographed for hours on end.

falls in the clouds



This image is of Roaring Brook Falls. I had not even heard of it or came across it in the brief bit of research I did on the area prior to our trip. Reported to be "over 100' high" by one source, it's just outside of Keene. As we drove the trees cleared along the left roadside and it was there right in front of us. We just sped by and I has to look for the next parking area to make a U-turn. I could not pass by without getting some shots of this falls.

When we returned to the roadside parking area there were others stopped taking in the view and making some images. The clouds were so low that the top of the falls were shrouded in mist to varying degrees as they moved by. I've since seen other images of this falls on the net, but none that I like as much as this one.

.. Oh, and on the return trip, the weather was even worse, rain was harder, clouds were lower, although we stopped and just looked then stopped again at a parking area just past the falls at the head of a trail leading to the base. A hiker returning to his vehicle (soaked through) told us it was about a 5 min hike to the falls but not worth it in the conditions. He also mentioned that the falls is actually 3 tiered and you cannot see all three tiers from the base, but that the trail continued to each of the tiers. I imagine this is absolutely gorgeous to photograph in better weather but I did not make any more images of it this day. I had the one I was looking for from our first stop.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment