2010-04-05

North Along Lake Superior

While planning for my work travels to Northern Ontario later this year, I was reminded of the beautiful scenery from my travels last fall. I had been meaning to go back through my image library from the trip and this was just the nudge needed.

Driving from Thunder Bay to Marathon and back in early October, the weather was very unsettled and skies were overcast for most of the trip. As the weather system moved through, there were opportunities when the cloud cover would break and provide drama that would compel me to stop and grab an image.
I wish the drive could have lasted much longer ...

reflection beside Hwy 17


Lake Superior Fall '09


On the last day, I wanted to make time for a stop at Ouimet Canyon to capture it in fall colours. A twenty minute drive off the main highway brought me to the park. I had not encountered a single car since turning off Hwy 17. This late in the season I did not expect anyone else to be around but I encountered one visitor on his way out. Other than that, for the 30min that I was there, I was alone with the sun, wind and scenery .... quite a feeling, especially when you are on a platform overhanging the side of a 100 m deep canyon. I wanted an image to capture the scale of the canyon and the strong sun and shadow posed a challenge but this was my only opportunity. The following image was saved with some shadow and highlight adjustments in CS3.

Ouimet Canyon sun blast


Fall of this year ... north along Lakes Huron and Superior from Manitoulin to Wawa.
I can't wait.
DJE

3 comments:

  1. Such a dramatic landscape up along Superiors shore, definitely a must-travel-to place in my photographic wish book.

    I find your last shot much more pleasing here on your blog than over on Flickr. Not sure if it's the black background, or if Blogspot is modifying the colour profile, but the shadows seem a little less harsh. Either way... nicely done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mikey, I agree with your sentiment that this is a "must" for photography. I am looking forward to my travels this year.

    I added a view on black option to the image on flickr. The shadows do seem alittle less harsh there to my eye ... could be the black background vs white.
    Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.
    DJE

    ReplyDelete
  3. THIS SHOT ALONG WITH MANY OTHER OF YOURS PROVES THAT YOU HAVE AN EYE OF A TRUE PHOTOGRAPHER! I AM A FAN OF YOUR WORK!

    ReplyDelete