2021-07-26

Photo of the Week 2021-07-26

 
When I picked up a new camera body a few weeks ago, the 24-105 lens I ordered had not yet arrived, so I had to use the new mirrorless body with DSLR lenses via an adapter which was no biggie since I already had it and was good to go.
 
I chose to try out my Sigma 70mm Macro and Sigma 150mm Macro lenses first and have been enjoying my return to close up, shallow depth of field imagery. It should not then be a surprise that my post this week is again a macro / close up image(s).
 
While readying the BBQ for dinner grilling at the cottage, I noticed an interesting subject on the flower-head of the Curly Dock growing in our pollinator patch.
 
white webster
 
I'm always looking at what is growing and living in the patch and noticed this Goldenrod Crab Spider out at the end of the Curly Dock checking things out. At first it was quite still. I used my 150mm macro to capture this image from quite close, then later as it moved around, I re-positioned for a closer shot, near the minimum focus distance of the lens.

Four-Eyes


 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
It was interesting trying to get sharp images, not only because of the very shallow depth of field, but because the breeze was bouncing the plant around a fair bit. The movement actually caused the spider to fall off the plant ... 

hanging by a thread
 
... to be saved by a single thread of silk, hang there for a bit, then climb back up.
 
DJE

3 comments:

  1. Lucky you to see so much on your first view of a crab spider! More often, they are seen perched on white or yellow flowers & to see them using silk--being non-web-spinners--is rare. I hope you'll find more in your area. The past few years, they are becoming much less common in my area of New York state. Lovely captures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and commenting with additional information Barbara.
    I was entertained by this little one for quite some time. Follow up searches in the same area, under leaves, in blooms, looking for it’s “hide” have not proven fruitful. The watch continues …

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and commenting with additional information Barbara.
    I was entertained by this little one for quite some time. Follow up searches in the same area, under leaves, in blooms, looking for it’s “hide” have not proven fruitful. The watch continues …

    ReplyDelete