2021-06-07

Photo of the Week 2021-06-07


Blue-Eyed Grass


On my late spring walks at the cottage, I'm on the lookout for Blue-Eyed Grass along the margins of the roadway. I first encountered this lovely little perennial wildflower in the years we were driving up to 'the Bruce' while considering if we might buy a cottage there. Now, I'm treated to clusters of these little purple-blue flowers along the road just a few hundred meters from our driveway.
 
Blue-Eyed Grass in Sun

 
This year in the first week of June, I was pleased to see quite a number of the little flower buds early one morning. These flowers only open for a short period each day, closing up again in the evening once the sun begins to set. This makes them somewhat elusive to spot, as without the flowers, they look just like the other grasses in the dirt and gravel bordering the road.
 

Blue-Eyed Patch

 
Blue-Eyed Roadside

 
I'm managed to find several more patches to visit and photograph in the coming years ...

 
DJE

2 comments: