2020-07-27

Photo of the Week 2020-07-27

Once every 6,766 years ...

Finding Neowise
The NW view from the Tugs Deck in Tobermory at twilight, with little Neowise below the Big Dipper, above the last vestiges of a Huron Sunset.
 
I had attempted to see and photograph the comet Neowise a few days earlier but cloud cover obscured the SW night sky, thwarting the effort. With clear sky forecast from 10pm midnight, conditions were perfect for another go.

It took a while to 'see' it, even though online resources had me looking in the correct spot. The lights from the Dock and Chi-Cheemaun made if difficult for my eyes to adjust to the dark (I really wish there were a way to dim the dock lights and those of the ferry but still manage to maintain security in the area). As it got closer to 11pm, the sky had darkened enough for long exposures on the camera to pick up the faint tail and orb of Neowise.

I had chosen a good viewpoint, but not a good platform from which to photograph. The small deck, that provides access to the area of Little Tub where snorkelers go to see the sunken remains of the Tugs, was transmitting vibration from the waves striking it's supports, making most exposures (10 - 20 s) show as jittery points of light. I found I could not zoom in and get a larger image of he comet without exaggerating the issue and without skyline for context, I found it wasn't a really interesting composition anyway.

DJE

No comments:

Post a Comment