2020-05-11

Photo of the Week 2020-05-11


' Snowbirds over Guelph '

Knowing that the Canadian Forces Snowbirds Air Demonstration Squadron was scheduled to fly over Guelph during 'Operation Inspiration', I monitored their schedule updates and plotted out a location I expected would provide a good vantage point.

I wanted to get a shot of the formation passing by the iconic Church (now Basilica) of our Lady. With that in mind I selected the upper deck of the Quebec St. Mall parkade, central to Guelph, as my shooting location. Hoping they would be approaching from the SW to fly over the centre of the city and Guelph General Hospital. I arrived at the location an hour before their anticipated arrival, which was then delayed 45 minutes due to weather.

As the Snowbirds approached, they appeared to be heading straight for me and would pass overhead ... but ... they banked away to begin an "S" shaped path over the city and even with my high vantage point I lost track of them behind some rooftops.

When they banked back again and emerged they were quite a way behind the Basilica and I had to zoom out to get it frame.

 
Snowbirds over Guelph

The light was far from optimal given the time of day and an overcast sky with rain threatening. I'm not really happy with the result ... but hey, I was out of the house and shooting.

DJE

1 comment: